Architectural icon for sale in exclusive Perth suburb for under $2m

House styles that have become modern classicsTake a look back at Iwanoff’s Perth masterpiecesAustralian architecture for beginners

苏州美甲学校

A slice of Perth’s history is up for grabs with an Iwan Iwanoff modernist home in Dalkeith listed for sale.

The 1960s-built residence, which was designed by the late Bulgarian-born architect, presents a rare opportunity to own an Iwanoff home, says selling agent Mark Anderson, of Anderson Davies Real Estate.

Set on a 1072-square-metre block, 13 Minora Road, Dalkeith, has four bedrooms, two bathrooms and open, airy living spaces. It is priced at $1.95 million.

There is also a pool and polished timber floors.

Mr Anderson said interest in the home had been strong.

“The house itself is rare in this price range,” he said.

“It is in a beautiful spot on a corner block. I think whoever is going to buy it is going to renovate it.

“The ideal buyer is someone obviously is interested in Iwanoff homes.”

Iwanoff, who died in 1986, became one of Perth’s most famous architects and was renowned for his brutalist style, concrete blockwork, use of timber and other trademark features, including letterboxes that were futuristic looking and designed to be part of the house.

Several homes designed by Iwanoff in the 1960s and 70s can be found in Dianella, City Beach and in Floreat.

One of the most famous is the Marsala House in Dianella, which has a light-up disco floor. It was built in 1976 and restored in the 2000s.

On The Boulevard in Floreat, a labour of love is underway to recreate one of Iwanoff’s most well-known homes, which was gutted by fire in December 2015.

Named Paganin House, the striking home was built in 1965 for a merchant family.

It featured marble privacy panels, wood panelling and stone, a pool, spa, three bars and Palm Spring style gardens.

Town of Cambridge acting chief executive Jason Lyon said a building permit was issued in January and he understood the new building will match as closely as practicable to the previous house, but with some minor changes to comply with current Building Codes of Australia.

Tim Wright, of Wright Feldhusen Architects, has designed the new abode.

“The owner is to be commended for their intent to restore this notable Floreat home, considered by many to be one of the best examples of Iwan Iwanoff’s unique architectural style which, when combined with the Paganin family’s trade in marble and timber, resulted in an iconic example of 1960s architecture in Perth,” Town of Cambridge mayor Keri Shannon said.

Cricket’s pay fight escalates as players take IP rights

Australian cricket’s pay war has escalated, with players set to establish their own image rights company allowing them to sign with rival sponsors and even join entrepreneurial competitions.

苏州美甲学校

With no sign of movement in discussions with Cricket Australia ahead of a June 30 deadline for a new memorandum of understanding, the Australian Cricketers Association on Wednesday unveiled plans to form a new business, The Cricketers Brand.

This business would house the marketing and media rights of players that currently are owned by CA. Under the plan, almost all of Australia’s international male and female players have already agreed to sign over their name, voice, signature, trademarks, images, likeness and even “performance” to the new company run through the ACA by former first-class cricketer, Tim Cruickshank. The company would also run player interviews, appearances and promotions.

This move comes as players prepare to safeguard their earnings if they are locked out and not paid by CA should a new memorandum of understanding, or at least a heads of agreement on the major issues, not be reached by July 1.

ACA chief Alistair Nicholson denied it was a power play by the players fighting to retain the revenue-sharing model that has been in place since 1997. CA wants to largely disband this, prompting suggestions this summer’s Ashes series could be in doubt.

“It’s actually around getting some stability around post-June 30, if that’s what happens. We actually see it as a necessity and a constructive way of trying to stop some of that uncertainty,” Nicholson said.

“It is important for the broadcasters, sponsors and then, obviously, Cricket Australia.”

Nicholson said the company format would be an “interim” position, with image rights returning entirely to CA should that be brokered in a new MOU. However, he said the company was likely to continue after a new agreement but its structure would be different. He said there were similar models used in US sports.

What that means in the short term is that rival sponsors to CA’s official partners and even rival broadcasters to Channel Nine could partner with players until a MOU is secured.

Should the fight drag on, cricketers, for instance, would have the opportunity of even playing in an Australian-based Twenty20 tournament from July – should there be financial backing. Players may have to seek a “no objection” certificate from CA but if they are locked out and not paid by CA, that could be a moot point.

“We have, obviously, asked to mediate [with CA]. We have got the top players in the world coming out of contract, so we are getting inquiries from broadcasters and sponsors around what happens. So we thought it important we say there is a vehicle here if you want to come and speak to the ACA around accessing players,” he said.

“That is something we have spoken to them about. Again, it’s around trying to get some certainty around what is happening at the moment.”

Players, who remain hopeful CA will agree to mediation, can still broker sponsorship deals directly with their agents.

A CA spokesman said on Tuesday the governing body remained ready to negotiate, having submitted plans for Australia’s top male players to earn several million dollars a year and for international female stars to immediately earn $200,000 a year. State-based players would still earn more than $200,000 a year but be paid from a set pool.

“Cricket Australia remains ready and willing to begin negotiations and remains confident that an agreement can be reached once they begin. The only reason that these talks have not begun is because the ACA is insisting that certain pre-conditions be met. That goes against the basic principle of good-faith negotiations, and could not be used in any mediation,” a CA spokesman said.

“Cricket Australia has placed a ground-breaking offer before the ACA, which will mean cricket is able to offer women the opportunity to have a fully professional sporting career at both international and domestic levels, while the men will continue to be among the country’s best-paid sportsmen. It retains the revenue-share model but provides greater flexibility for Cricket Australia to invest in our grassroots, particularly junior cricket.

“CA has repeatedly explained to the ACA that there is no digital revenue, and their auditors have access to CA’s books on a regular basis.”

CA signed over its digital rights to Channel Nine under the last broadcast rights deal, and claims players have enjoyed a cut of this.

While the players insist they will not budge on ensuring all cricketers enjoy the set-percentage model, Nicholson says there is room for negotiation.

“What is important is the flexibility we have offered underneath that, in regard to talking about downside and upside, and then also a mechanism that if Cricket Australia or the game want to invest in new businesses to grow the game, where that sits. That is similar to what happens in a NFL-type model,” he said.

“The players are not necessarily saying revenue-share and nothing else – it’s this revenue-sharing model with flexibility underneath.”

CA has also threatened to pull its multimillion-dollar funding of the ACA, an issue which will be debated – should negotiations open.

“The position from CA up until now is that they don’t believe that funding should continue. So now it’s important if that doesn’t continue, then we have structures in place which we can fund ourselves,” Nicholson said.

2-metre sea level rise a risk in Newcastle’s inner-city suburbs

LARGE chunks of Newcastle’s inner suburbs could be underwater by the end of the centuryif worst-case scenario sea-level rises come true, new flood prediction modelling shows.

苏州美甲学校

Based on new,more direestimates of “plausible” sea level rises caused by the rapid melting of ice sheets in Antarctica and Greenland, the modelling predicts large chunks of suburbs like Wickham, Carrington andMaryville could be underwater by 2100.

The modelling, from Coastal Risk Australia, is based on new research by the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association, whichthis yearreleased updated projectionsfor sea level rises whichreevaluated previous worst-case scenario modelling from a 74-centimetre sea level rise by 2100 to between 2and 2.7 metres.

In Newcastle, the modelling shows that a sea-level rise of 2 metres could see swathes of land in Carrington, Maryville andWickham inundated during high tides, as well as parts of Honeysuckle, Hunter Street and even Newcastle West.

In Lake Macquarie, the mapping shows potential for significant flooding, particularly in eastern suburbs like Belmont,Swansea andBlacksmiths.

The threat of climate change and subsequent sea level rises have not gone unnoticed by Newcastle City Council, which is currently exhibiting a strategic position paper for managing the issue in the “low lying” suburbs ofWickham, Maryville,Carrington andIslington.

It predicts a small number of private properties in those suburbscould face regular inundation as a result of sea level rises of only 0.3 metres, and said rises of 0.8 metres by 2050 –the 2013 “worst case scenario” – without intervention would see floodingincrease across the area and cause permanent waterlogging of particularly low-lying parts”.

The paperdoes not consider the more extreme flood levels included in the latest coastal modelling, however it proposes that the council spend between $45 and $55 million installingflood gates on stormwater outlet pipes and the construction of a levee along the Throsby Creek cycleway that would “protect the entire area from inundation by sea levels up to 2.5 metres”.

Newcastle Greens councillor Michael Osborne, an hydraulic engineer, said it was a “big risk for the area” that the council needed to invest in.

Cr Osborne last week presented at theFloodplain Management Australia National Conference held in Newcastle about best practice for councils in dealing with flood planning, and said local government organisations needed to consider the impacts of flooding because they were the bodies liable for damages.

The conference, which heard from flood management experts from across Australia, included a presentation from Daniel Williams, the NSW flood team leader from Broadmeadow-based engineering consultancy firm BMT WBM, about predicting the next major flood on the Hunter River.

Mr Williams told the Newcastle Heraldthat while major floods in the Hunter’s recent past –i.e. 2007 and 2015 – had come from coastal storms caused by an east coast low, the largest previous flood along the Hunter River in 1955 was the result of the remnants of a tropical depression movingwarm moist air across inland Australia andinto the top of the Hunter catchment.

He said future climate change predictions suggested it was possible that more events like that could occur in the future.

“As well as sea level rises, which affectsNewcastle harbour rather than valley, we also look at potential increases in rainfall intensity,” he said.

He said climate change models included predictions of increasing sea surface temperatures, with a greater level of moisture take up, which would make conditions like the 1955 storm “more common”.

“It’s inevitable that there will be more floods like there, but where that uncertainty is, is in how frequently you would expect it to occur,” he said.

“You could be lucky and go 200 or 300 years without a flood,or get unlucky and get two in the next 50 years.”

Budget reduction forced 10 per cent NGA staff cut

Canberra’s national gallery will not reverse a 10 per cent staffing cut despite a budget windfall restoring half its government funding slashed less than two years ago.

苏州美甲学校

The National Gallery of Australia’s director Gerard Vaughan told senators at an estimates hearing on Wednesday it had to shed 20 of its 237 staff after a $3.94 million cut in December 2015.

He said 2016-17 had been a “challenging year” and described the gallery’s restructure, which made $2.2 million in savings, as a “difficult but interesting” process.

“‘Challenging’ concerns the efficiency dividends we’ve needed to take account of,” Dr Vaughan said.

Full-time staff would remain at 217 despite a $1.94 million increase in gallery funding announced in the budget earlier this month, which Dr Vaughan said would go to other purposes.

Tighter finances had also forced the gallery to rotate its collections more slowly, from every six months to between nine and 12 months.

“We’ll essentially do the same things, we’ll just slow it down and take a bit longer to do it,” Dr Vaughan said.

However the gallery would not change its line-up of major exhibitions, which generated money and attracted large crowds.

The gallery had put plans to expand on hold, but was preparing a brief for the project.

National Museum of Australia director Mathew Trinca told senators it had increased staff by six to 223 while losing government funding after increasing its own-source income and starting renewal projects using its capital funds.

Its popular A History of the World in 100 Objects exhibition, a program touring from the British Museum which left Canberra in January, drew 178,000 visitors – double the number expected.

Museum of Australian Democracy at Old Parliament House director Daryl Karp said two positions would be added to her workforce after additional funding from this year’s federal budget.

The extra funding will bring staff numbers to 72, coming alongside capital works funding of $13.6 million for improvements to lighting, plumbing and “habitable office space”.

Ms Karp said some exhibition spaces at Old Parliament House would be renewed for the first time with the funds.

The National Portrait Gallery reduced its staffing by four after a previous $400,000 budget cut, although it shed three of these positions through natural attrition of departing staff.

It received an additional $150,000 to manage cost pressures this year and funding had been restored, director Angus Trumble said.

The gallery expected visitor numbers to drop this year by 7,000 to 424,000, but Mr Trumble said it was difficult to determine the cause.

Arts Minister Mitch Fifield used the hearing to rule out selling Jackson Pollock’s landmark painting Blue Poles, rejecting the suggestion from Liberal senator James Paterson last year.

Senator Paterson said the government could reduce national debt by selling the painting bought for $1.3 million by the Whitlam government, now valued at more than $350 million.

Senator Fifield said the government wouldn’t be selling the “destination” artwork, noting “decisions about the collection are ones for the council of the gallery”.

Kingsford-Smith Cup: Clearly Innocent form gives trainer Kris Lees confidence

RISING: Clearly Innocent has won all three starts on soft ground. Picture: bradleyphotos苏州美甲学校苏州美甲学校论坛

苏州美甲学校

CLEARLY Innocent was travelling to Queensland on Wednesday night for the $700,000 Kingsford-Smith Cup (1300 metres) untested at group 1 level,at Eagle Farm and at weight for age.

But Newcastle trainer Kris Lees was confidentwinning form could give his five-year-old gelding the edge on Saturday in the race formerly known as the BTC Cup.

Clearly Innocent, with Hugh Bowman to ride, was at $5.50 with TAB Fixed Odds, behind only five-time group 1 winner Black Heart Bart ($3.50), after drawing barrier nine. Black Heart Bart drew four.

Lees targeted the raceafter Clearly Innocent defended his listed Luskin Star Stakes title in emphatic fashion at Scone. Victory in the Kingsford-Smith Cup secures aplace in the June 10, $1.5 million Stradbroke Handicap at Eagle Farm, a racein which Clearly Innocent is the early favourite.

Black Heart Bart was seventh in the group 1 Goodwood last start, while Clearly Innocent is one of only two last-start winners in the Kingsford-Smith Cupfield.

Lees was taking that as a positive and believed the other last-start victor, Jungle Edge, was the horse to beat.

“He’s not well-placed at weight-for-age level against some of these more credentialled horses, but we’re going there in form,” Lees said of Clearly Innocent.

“There’s horse there that, on their day, are genuine group 1 horses.

“He’s come on well since Scone but he’ll need to because it’s a lot stronger race.

“The horse is in good order and he handles a soft ground, but the Eagle Farm track is the unknown.I just hope the horse runs well.”

The Eagle Farmsurface, a heavy 8 on Wednesday, has been widely criticised. It wasrated heavy on May 3 despite the track not havingrain for 10 days.

Lees was unsure what factorthe draw in nine would have, given the surface’s troubles.

“It’s all up in the air with that track,” he said. “But it’s probably a terrific barrier because you’ve got options.You probablydon’t want to be stuck on the fence or on the outside fence, so that will be enough for Hugh to work things out.”

Meanwhile, Lees accepted forSlow Pace in the McKell Cup at Randwick for Saturday but he was unsure if the nine-year-old will race.

“He probably needs a bit of cut in the ground, to be honest, and I probably won’t run him if it gets too firm,” he said.

“He seems to be going well, but he’s that kind of horse. You wouldn’t want to be having your last on him but he can certainly show up at any time.”

Lees confirmed Guard Of Honour would be gelded after his ninth last Saturday at Rosehill.